Tuesday, November 4, 2008

WE'VE FINALLY GOT A PIECE OF THE PIE!!!!!


Even though I have been very harsh on Barack Obama throughout this election period, I have to admit there is a sense of joy in my heart to see an African-American finally make it to the Presidency of the United States.

When I think just 50 years ago, blacks had to eat in back sections in restaurants, could not drink out of the same water fountains nor use the same restrooms as whites. How 53 years ago, a woman by the name of Rosa Parks was arrested just because she refused to give up her seat on a city bus because she was tired. How 45 years ago, four children: Denise McNair, Cynthia Wesley, Addie Mae Collins, and Carole Robertson were killed by a bomb in their church when they went to the basement to pray. And how 40 years ago, a man named Martin Luther King was assassinated because he wanted to see a nation of equality and harmony, truly seeing this day is a special and landmark moment in African-American history.

And while I have to say this post does not mean that I am turning Democrat (God forbid!) or that I have become a fan of Obama and his beliefs (again, God forbid!), I cannot lose sight in what this day means to my community. Truly, it feels good to be a part of history and it is my prayer that the decision that God has Sovereignly placed before us will bring Him glory in the highest. As the Scriptures say, "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God". So while many will be ecstatic about this event and many will be disgusted with it, there is one thing we should keep in mind: This work is of the LORD's doing, and we should submit to it, praise His wisdom in bringing it about, and realize He has not given up His rule on His heavenly throne. And that, brothers and sisters, is the real joy in this event--no matter what side of the fence you stand.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

I agree so much Jarvis. I didn't vote for Obama, but I think his election is a very healing thing for our country.