Thursday, August 21, 2008

NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT WITHOUT ____?


It is one of the most popular songs in the country right now, loved by both Christians and Non-Christians alike. It has brought many to tears and has encouraged many to continue to stay strong during difficult times. It has made its writer--Marvin Sapp--an overnight hit! It's the song Never Would Have Made it.


And while I must admit that it is a very beautiful song, When you stop and listen to the lyrics, one would find something very interesting about them. See if you can pick up what I'm saying:


Never would have made it,

Never could have made it, without you

I would have lost it all, but now I see how you were there for me

And I can say: Never would have made it,

Never could have made it, Without you

I would have lost it all, but I now how I see how you were there for me

And I can say I'm stronger, I'm wiser, I'm better, much better,

When I look back over all you brought me thru.

I can see that you were the one that I held on to.


Do you see it? There is no mention of the LORD Jesus, God the Father, or the Holy Spirit in the lyrics. Now you might be saying to yourself: Gee Jarvis! Aren't you being over picky? The LORD is definitely implied in the song. But what many people don't realize is that Marvin Sapp wrote this song as a tribute to his father after his death. So we cannot assume that this song was written to honor the LORD.


Now, it is not my intention to rip Marvin Sapp in this post. As mentioned before, I truly love this song and it has encouraged me in the LORD many times. However, it is a song that has a "insert your inspiration here" ideaology. In short, whoever you idolize can be the "you" or "he" in this song. And it is this type of music that is being passed off as "gospel" today, when in actuality there is no mention of the Gospel, nor Christ in its makeup.


Sadly, some of today's Christian artist--in an attempt to draw unbelievers to Christ-- are recording songs that are leaving out the most important element to their mission: Christ.

Brothers and Sisters, we must remember that the way sinners are saved is through the preaching of Christ and Him crucified (1 Corinthians 1:23-24). And this must be done in our singing, preaching, counsel, and every other aspect of worship.


God has not sanctioned any other means for a person to be saved. So while I applaud Mr. Sapp for writing such a beautiful song, I would also encourage him to be more direct in the object of his message and to proudly put the cross in his future projects. Because it is the cross of Christ--as Fanny Crosby states-- that is the "precious fountain" that washes away the sins of both men and women.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For us when we visit some blog site our main objective is to ensure that we will be entertained with this blog.

Ebony Puritan said...

Huh?

Anonymous said...

Wait, are you implying that Gospel music has to include the Gospel?! I thought it just had to be inspirational (if not pentecostal). Well, then, don't look now, but that automatically deletes about 80% of our "gospel" songs.

Ebony Puritan said...

85%! But who's counting?????