Sunday, January 20, 2008

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE "GOSPEL" IN OUR MUSIC?

Below are excerpts from two different songs:


Song 1: "Alas! and did my Saviour bleed, And did my Sovereign die! Would he devote that sacred head For such a worm as I! Was it for crimes that I had done He groaned upon the tree! Amazing pity! grace unknown! And love beyond degree"! (Isaac Watts)

Song 2: "I love me better than that! I’m going to get my life back! I’m gonna take it back! You see I’ve made up in my mind: I want my joy back, I want my peace back, I want my strength back, All my sisters help me sing: I want my joy back, I want my peace back, I want my strength back, I want my mind back, My self-esteem back, I want my keys back". (Shirley Murdoch)

Now here are two questions for you:

Number One, Which song is considered the Gospel song? Both!

And, Number Two, Which song is truly the Gospel song? Number 1!

Notice the difference in the two questions. While one song clearly gives a doctrinally sound Gospel message, the other (in today's church) would be considered "Gospel" because it fits today's popular "freedom theology" message.

Sadly, in the church today, the true Gospel in our music has become out of style like Zoot Suits. Music, in times past, that glorified Christ, proclaimed the message of the Cross, and was not shy about expressing our true sinful status apart from Christ has been replaced with a liberation feel that focuses more on our felt needs and downplays our true fallen condition. And, unfortunately, many sinners continue to listen in their homes, blast in their cars, and sing these "Gospel" songs with no desire or prompting to repent and trust Christ for salvation.

In addition, many churches, nowadays, have gotten away from more doctrinal focused music--like the Hymns of the faith--and has replaced them with songs that have little doctrinal focus or spews heretical teaching altogether. For example, here are some lyrics of certain popular songs sung in most churches today:

(1) SHAKE! SHAKE! SHAKE! SHAKE THE DEVIL OFF!
SHAKE! SHAKE! SHAKE! SHAKE THE DEVIL OFF!
SHAKE! SHAKE! SHAKE! SHAKE THE DEVIL OFF!
IN THE NAME OF JESUS, SHAKE THE DEVIL OFF!

(2) Wash me over again, wash me over again;
In Your precious blood, wash me over again.

(3) Jesus, Jesus, Jesus! Jesus, Jesus, Jesus! Jesus, Jesus, Jesus! Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Healer, Healer, Healer! Healer, Healer, Healer! Healer, Healer, Healer! Healer, Healer, Healer!

In sharp contrast, here are some songs that were popular, during the time when my Mother was a child and going to church, only 50-60 years ago:

(1) Jesus, keep me near the cross; There a precious fountain, Free to all—a healing stream—Flows from Calvary's mountain.

(2) Guide me, O thou great Jehovah, Pilgrim through this barren land; I am weak, but thou art mighty; Hold me with thy pow'rful hand; Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven, Feed me till I want no more.

(3) Amazing grace—how sweet the sound—That saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found—Was blind, but now I see.

Look at the difference between the two ideas! I believe this is proof positive that the decline of solid theology is not only affecting our pulpits, but also our worship as well. And, if we are not careful, 30 years down the road the watery doctrinal songs of most of today's "Gospel" artist--like "Hold My Mule", "I made a Step", and "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" will be the norm and songs like "Amazing Grace", "Precious LORD, Take my hand", and "A Mighty Fortress is our God" will cease to exist in the minds and hearts of people.

Already, I am seeing this trend happen in my jail ministry. The younger guys always ask me to play the latest Kirk Franklin or Trin-i-tee 5:7 song in the Sunday Worship service because these are the songs that define the outlook of today's Christianity. However, when I tell them that the songs they are requesting do not fit the structure of the Christ-centered worship experience I desire for the service, they either look at me funny or will debate me on my reply. And I am afraid that this will be the mentality of the next generation if we continue to neglect the wonderful gift of true Gospel music that God has given us from the pens of Fanny Crosby, Isaac Watts, Civila Martin, Horatio Spafford, Thomas Dorsey, and others.

So, as Reformed people who desire to see our doctrine engulfed in every area of our worship, let us take a trip back to the old path. Let us add and emphasize the doctrines of the faith more in our worship music. Because, the reality is, the lasting effects of Reformed Theology beyond our generation may depend on it. If we want the next generation to "keep the flame going", we must show them first how to light the embers correctly.

3 comments:

E. McAllister said...

Hello Ebony Puritan,

I did a google search for "doctrinally sound gospel songs" and arrived at your blog entry. I am praying to God right now to find just that very thing in modern "Gospel" music (and there is often a stark difference b/w stylistic "Gospel", and the gospel message). I'll make some myself if I must but prosperity theology, heavily experiential testimony and confessional songs that say little about the scope of God's character, and philanthropic "save the world" tunes that only slightly imply the spreading of the Gospel leave little room for the true power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Ebony Puritan said...

Thank you for your comments, and
much providence in your endeavors!!

Ben of BenandJacq said...

I found this post the same way, through a google search. have you been able to find any solid (theologically) Gospel-Genre music?

I have a deep love for the passion and zeal that the African American church has in worship. I'd love to incorporate some of that in my worship-leading. But I have trouble finding Christ-centered gospel music. I'd love to know if you know of some.