Tuesday, January 15, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR. KING!!!


Although we are celebrating Dr. King's birthday onMonday, this day (January 15th) is actually the day he was born 79 years ago. Truly, everyone in America--if not the world-- has been impacted by Dr. King in some way. I remember, back in 2005, I had a chance to go to Atlanta for the "All-American City" contest and it was a surreal and humbling experience to walk through his childhood home as well as see his actual clothing, Bible, Grammy (which I didn't know he had), as well as the horse buggy that carried his casket in 1968. In addition, it was a real blessing to purchase and hear for the first time his "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" as well as the full "I've been to the Mountain Top" speech, which still gives me goosebumps when I think of the prohetic aspect of the message.


But perhaps the one thing that Dr. King said that will always stick with me is his quote that the most segregated time during the week is 11 AM on Sundays. And in a day and age where there are some (myself included) who are trying to push for racial harmony in the church, I often wonder how far has the modern church advanced in dispelling Dr. King's assessment. Being an African-American Reformer as well as having a jail ministry, I often wonder how much I am striving to get the message of the Reformation to everyone in my ministry, let alone just my brothers of race. I often wonder, during my time in Seminary, did I strive enough to promote racial harmony to my brothers and sisters of different races. I often wonder if I am stressing to the congregations, that I preach to, how much they need attack racial divisions in their daily walks with Christ.
And while I yearn to see the day that Reformed theology will dominate the Black Church, I feel that if this feat does not bring us in closer fellowship with our brothers and sisters of other races, then we have won a battle for godliness at the expense of the overall war!
Let me know what you think about this!!!

1 comment:

Jordan said...

I agree, my friend. The church doesn't belong to Jews or blacks or whites or latinos. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ.

"I will bring them to my holy mountain of Jerusalem
and will fill them with joy in my house of prayer.
I will accept their burnt offerings and sacrifices,
because my Temple will be called a house of prayer for all nations." Is 56:7