Wednesday, October 17, 2007

SIN RANKING


I just finished reading an article by Jemele Hill in which she makes the claim that Isiah Thomas' actions toward Anucha Browne Sanders were worse than Don Imus'. Now we are all familiar with Don Imus' "nappy headed 'h' word" remark towards the Rutgers women's basketball team by now. But is this truly better than Isiah Thomas saying that it is OK for black men to call black women the "b" word, and not for white men to do it? The Bible says to let our words edify each other (Ephesians 4:29), and while it is clear that neither man did such in their incidents, is it possible to judge one situation over the other? Equally, in comparing the situations, where is this "line" that determines Isiah's actions were worse than Imus'?

Now don't get me wrong, I am not defending Isiah Thomas at all! However, I could never understand the "I'm a more righteous sinner than you" mentality, especilaly among unbelievers. So my criticism lies more with someone ranking their incidents more than the incidents itself? Below is the link to the article, please read it and let me know what you think!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070921

No comments: